IGAD Executive Secretary Dr. Workneh Gebeyehu gave a keynote address at the ISS webinar on impact of the COVID-19 pandemic for the Horn of Africa. The webinar which took place on 10 June 2020 provided a platform for assessment of IGAD region’s preparedness and response.
“There are five critical measures that will significantly shore up peace and security in the Horn of Africa in the context of the corona-virus,” said DR. Gebeyehu.
One, expanding support for regional peace-building initiatives:
- South Sudan revitalised Peace Agreement
- Somalia Post-Conflict Reconstruction, including support for AMISOM and Somali National Army and Police Force
- Djibouti-Eritrea relations
- Kenya-Somalia maritime dispute and security cooperation to defeat Al-Shabaab
- Sudan transition and border dispute with Ethiopia
Two, scaling-up preventative diplomacy and “peace-building from below” to rapidly identify and prevent address emerging challenges to peace and security as a result of COVID-19.
Three, supporting measures to prevent and contain COVID-19 among peace-keeping forces (UNMISS, AMISOM).
Four, Debt cancellation as opposed to temporary relief for Member States to unlock resources for health, socio-economic, peace & security interventions.
Five, accelerating the regional integration agenda and strengthening inter-dependence between communities and nations as a conflict prevention strategy.